Monday 5 October 2009

About Me

Hello, my name is Zoe Bellamy and I have recently graduated from Northern Ballet School a professional dance college gaining my Trinity London National Diploma in Professional Dance.

My dance training began at the age of 4 years old at my local dance school in Middlesbrough where I took part in local festivals and championships. Dance was a huge part of my life and I worked my way through examinations in RAD and BATD. I studied ballet, jazz, tap, modern acrobatics and gymnastics. Whilst I was training I took part in many performances with local dance companies, English youth ballet, Yorkshire youth dance theatre, Yorkshire Youth Ballet as well as pantomimes and numerous national gymnastic competitions throughout the country. Whilst I was at home I also studied and successfully gained my dance teachers qualification in BATD acrobatics and stage (Tap and Modern). This will allow me in the future to teach dance and pass on my knowledge and experience to the younger generations and for them to hopefully enjoy dance as much as I do.

My professional training commenced at the age of sixteen at The Northern Ballet School in Manchester, UK. We had numerous professional staff including David Needham, Eric Carpenter, Tracey Baxter, Darren Suarez and our principal Patricia McDonald to name just a few.
My college training included intensive dance, singing and drama classes, which over a period of three years, would essentially prepare me for a career in either the classical or musical theatre industry.

At Northern Ballet School, we studied a vast range of dance styles to give us the best training and preparation for a career in the dance industry this included: Jazz, Ballet, Pointe, Tap, Contemporary, Acrobatics, Gymnastics, Hip Hop, Double Work, Heel Work, Pas de Deux, Drama and Singing as well as special skills training in Advanced Acro (qualified teacher), Gymnastics, Advanced Tap and Irish Dancing.

Whilst at college we were continually assessed in the Ballet and Jazz disciplines to ascertain if we had gained the required standard in order to achieve our professional Trinity diplomas. We were all given marks in each assessed discipline that reflected how well we had demonstrated the techniques required to pass the assessment. We were also videoed during these assessments, this enabled us to have a feedback lesson with the teacher of that discipline and gave us a chance to watch ourselves in the class and learn from mistakes and judge our weaker points to hopefully correct these and gain a higher mark in the next assessments.
We were lucky to be given the chance to perform in 3 shows a year at our college over two years, a full length ballet in December,a musical in March and our final end of year summer show which the whole school was involved in. These shows gave us a taste of real professional performances to a live audience in our colleges in house state of the art theatre and we were treated as adults and professional dancers the whole time throughout the rehearsal period and the main performances.
My college experience has been so inspirational and a dream come true for me to be lucky enough to live my dream and hopefully pursue this as a career in the near future. I feel like my adventure is just beginning!

2 comments:

  1. Hey i went to northern ballet school, i loved mr Carpenter he was my favourite!
    How did you manage to do those shows inbetween training?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete